Sunday, March 15, 2009

sunn O))) (repost)



i'm reposting my favorite sunn O))) records because I've gotten some better quality and i'm pretty sure most of my disco got taken down.

I'm gonna list these in order of my preference.


BLACK ONE
part 1
part 2

This is quite probably the darkest, heaviest, and most nihilistic piece of art ever created. It is a perfect album and stands as a pillar of drone metal that every band should try and live up too. This album makes me feel uncomfortable in a good way. I have it's cover rasturbated on my wall and i honestly spend entirely too much time getting lost in it's abstractly horrific brilliance.

Orthodox Caveman has, what I consider to be, the heaviest rift ever written, and it kicks in at exactly 4:20.

If you're listening to this album loud enough it is guaranteed to summon demons that will headbang as they devour your soul. This record is 180 grams of the blackest vinyl i've ever seen.

Solstitium Fulminate is the live bonus disc (that is very good) that comes with the special edition of Black One.




this next album is actually a fully collaborative project from sunn O))) and Boris (a japanese drone band that also rules pretty fucking hard).

IT IS NOT A SPLIT. EVERY SONG WAS WRITTEN BY BOTH BANDS TOGETHER.

that being said, may I present to you, one of the most epic albums you will EVER hear:


ALTAR

disc I
this is one song "Her Lips Wet With Venom" (Satan Oscillate My Metallic Sonatas)
it is a 28 minute epic overture.

Disc II
part 1

part 2

the first song on disc II, Etna, is an amazing intro that gets heavy as balls halfway through.

The Sinking Bell (blue sheep) is one of the most beautiful (albeit haunting) songs I've heard in recent times.

"Akuma No Ata" is EARTH SHATTERINGLY EPIC.



White1

My Wall is taken from Håvard Hedde (a Norwegian folk song). It's ancient, dark, and epic.
The Gates of Ballard has one of the best bass grooves I've ever heard.





Flight of the Behemoth
This album is really good. Death Becomes You and Mocking Solemnity are great tracks, but I honestly think my favorite song is F.W.T.B.T. ((I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton) which is a loose cover of Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls. It's drone as balls.




White2
part 1
part 2

For those of you who don't know: sunn O))) is comprised of two dudes, Stephen O'Malley (of Kahnate and Burning Witch) and Greg Anderson (of Goatsnake) and anyone they feel like inviting to collaborate with them.

No comments: